why "fundamentalist"?

The word "fundamentalist" has always had a bad connotation in my mind.  I was always an "Evangelical" over and against being a "fundamentalist" - or so I thought.

I realize though that when push comes to shove - I really am a fundamentalist and I am not even reluctantly embracing it - I am celebrating it.

I am a rabid fundamentalist and it all relates to my view of Scripture.  I was always a "Conservative Evangelical" and self-identified as such, but the term Evangelical has lost so much of the "teeth" it once had that I need a new self-identification.

So - this blog will highlight from all throughout the history of the church that inerrancy was affirmed and believed.

I will make this post a short one - but let's just get back to the early Church to get us started.  Here are two representative quotes from well-known, orthodox Church Fathers - let the games begin:

Tertullian states unambiguously, “The statements of Holy Scripture will never be discordant with truth” (A Treatise on the Soul, 21, in ANF, 3:202).

Clement of Rome exhorted his readers, “Look carefully into the Scriptures, which are the true utterances of the Holy Spirit. Observe that nothing of an unjust or counterfeit character is written in them” (First Epistle to the Corinthians, 45, in ANF, 9:243)


Justin Martyr, states clearly, “Since I am entirely convinced that no Scripture contradicts another, I shall admit that I do not understand what is recorded, and shall strive to persuade those who imagine that the Scriptures are contradictory, to be rather of the same opinion of myself” (Dialogue with Trypho, a Jew, 65, in ANF, 1:230).

Source: fromthestudy.com - "Inerrancy and Church History the Early Fathers"


THREE EARLY FUNDAMENTALISTS.  I stand with them over and against the tide that has rejected inerrancy today.  The audacity of those today to think they are right and that these men are wrong!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tertullian or Luther on "The Bondage of the Will"? - I'll go with Tertullian.

Yet Another Early Church NON-CALVINIST - Athenagoras (AD 177)

If Calvinism were true, Jesus would be a liar.