the errors of "Hyper Grace"

I know I haven’t taken up this issue on this blog previously, but from time to time I will as this is the place I muse theologically.

Certain “Hyper Grace” teachers teach that we don’t have to heed the teachings of Christ in the Gospels because they were given before the Cross and are therefore under the Old Covenant and do not apply to us as New Covenant believers.  Of course this teaching is utterly ridiculous and was “invented” because there are many things that Jesus taught that don’t “fit” the doctrine of these so-called “Grace teachers”.  For example, Jesus instructs believers to ask for forgiveness in the Lord’s Prayer.  Hyper Grace teachers teach that no NT believer should ever ask for forgiveness as they are already forgiven.  Jesus also talks about the consequences of sin in the life of believers – if we don’t forgive, God doesn’t forgive us (Matthew 6:15).  But according to them, this can’t be true either.  So a hermeneutic (a way to interpret) was literally “invented” by Hyper Grace teachers.  The solution?  Throw out the Sermon on the Mount and all the rest of Jesus’ teaching because it was all given before His atoning work.  Never mind that His final instructions for His Apostle to obey was “Go into all the world…and teach them to OBEY ALL THAT I HAVE COMMANDED YOU”. (Matthew 28:20). I am sure the Hyper Grace teachers will say, that Jesus only was asking them to teach things He had commanded them after He rose from the dead and before He ascended!  

So why bring this issue up today?  As I was reading Paul’s letter to the Colossians today, I ran into this verse - “Let the teaching of Christ live in you richly…Everything you do or say should be done to obey the Lord Jesus" (3:16-17).  I guess Joseph Prince needed and the other Hyper Grace teachers didn’t see these verses.  It isn’t surprising as the rest of the NT is full of verses that contradict their perversion of the Biblical doctrine/understanding of Grace in dozens and dozens of places.  As for me, I will continue to endeavor to obey everything the Lord Jesus teaches us in the Gospel, I will continue to obey His commandment to His Disciples to teach others to obey His teachings in the Gospels, and I will obey the Apostle Paul, the “Apostle of Grace” who exhorts us to let Christ’s teachings dwell in us richly.  And I will do these things until Christ returns.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tertullian or Luther on "The Bondage of the Will"? - I'll go with Tertullian.

Yet Another Early Church NON-CALVINIST - Athenagoras (AD 177)

If Calvinism were true, Jesus would be a liar.